St.James' Park History Quiz
FoSJP's First Birthday Party - History Quiz - May 2007
(David Wheatley, FoSJP photographer)
On the back of the flyers for the
FoSJP First Birthday Party in May 2007 was a History Quiz,
based on information found in Bob Grice's Collection which he kindly donated to us at our
Reminiscence Day event in May 2006.
Congratulations to the winners - Aimee Loretto and Val Aston - who can be seen here receiving
their prizes from Michaela Lawler-Levene of FoSJP:
- Free annual membership of FoSJP
- A £5 refreshments voucher to spend in the
Thanks to all of you who took part - we hope you enjoyed it!
Here are the questions again, this time with the answers shown in bold:
- St.James' Park was known as what?
- Shirley Recreation Ground
- Shirley Football Pitch
- Shirley Field
- What was the name of St.James' Road in 1850?
- Was St.James' Park any of the following?
- A gravel pit
- A corn field
- A nursery
- A sand pit
- Wordsworth Road used to be called which of the following?
- Winchester Street
- Church Avenue
- Park Road
- From the First World War the home football team 'Shirley Wanderers' played at St.James' Park.
What colours did they play in?
- red and white
- blue and white
- yellow and white
- What was the name of the railway company who almost built a railway station near St.James' Park?
- London and Southern Railway Company
- London and Southampton Railway Company
- Didcot, Newbury, and Southampton Railway Company
- The grounds of St.James' Park were bought from Mr George Harris 'for the children of Shirley' in which year?
- March 1907
- August 1908
- December 1909
Site location: Home > History > History Quiz